The Hit List

My dream is to kill Ernest Hemingway…

Begin with drink
These things always do
Bellies gorged
Stumbling through Spanish streets
A causal shove
One shrill cry
Callused hands against pavement
Car tires screeching
Too late to stop
The satisfying crunch
Not the whole body
Just the hands
Then he dies

My dream is to burn Shakespeare at the stake…

A glorious funeral pyre
Center stage of The Rose
Blind folded
Writhing in agony
Flames licking his shanks
Shouting heretic
A tragic life
A comedic end 
His last words, “Et Tu Brute?”
Unoriginal
Yet so proud
The blindfold removed
He sees nothing
Only empty seats

My dream is to drown Neruda in that sea he loves so much…

Making love to all the women he ever touched
Caressing the curves of flower pots
Building shoes  
Licking the sides of ships
Handling scraps of paper
As if they belonged to me
Back and fourth he sways
Body choked by seaweed
And a dispassionate life
Nothing left
Only the sound surf
No pens left
All typewriters broken
Cutting him open
No blood flows

My dream is to slay the great minds of this and every generation…

No more words
Or songs
Or deeds
Or conscience
Or love
Or pain
Or reflection
Torn from the walls
Sleep would finally come
A brief respite free of shadows
Gravity made irrelevant
Massive as absence
Tranquil and unfeeling
Healing self made wounds
As strong as plastic

Then I win

Comments

  1. I don't think I new you had this blog?? Is it different than the life after college one you started last year.

    Great poem anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts