The Others

Now keep close to the small ones,
and remember their gentle laughter.

I walk in daylight as if I am hunted.

I only want to pick you up,
and put you in my pocket.

You are alive in the dark places,
caught between the pale yellow ghosts,
just beyond my understanding.

Two days ago I saw your face,
torn to shred by motor fire.

A year ago you were on the news.

Three weeks ago,
you wore a dress and walked beside me,
as I meandered my way into the grocery store.

You had that same gentle laughter.

Watching you I see all the strength it takes,
as you calmly educate the old women,
her skin cracking like parchment paper,
as she struggles to rearrange neurons.

And you give her your strength.

Tomorrow you will still be my neighbor,
my friend,
my lover,
and I will buy bread.

Or surf the internet until sleep takes me.

You will remain in the dark places,
caught between the pale yellow ghosts,
while Samaria cries herself to sleep.

Comments



  1. "Now keep close to the small ones,
    and remember their gentle laughter.

    ---Do you hear the song they sing with every graceful note?

    I walk in daylight as if I am hunted.

    ---I feel you, but do not see you; so tempted to grasp at air.

    I only want to pick you up,
    and put you in my pocket.

    ---taken aback by your whimsical touch and left powerless

    You are alive in the dark places,
    caught between the pale yellow ghosts,
    just beyond my understanding.

    --- Alive in the hopes that you wake me, beneath cold sheets, and hot summer days.

    Two days ago I saw your face,
    torn to shred by motor fire.

    ---So beautiful was your face that my internal clock stopped ticking.

    A year ago you were on the news.

    ---A year ago I was new.

    Three weeks ago,
    you wore a dress and walked beside me,
    as I meandered my way into the grocery store.

    ---I walked beside you, and watched so eagerly.

    You had that same gentle laughter.

    ---You had that same tantalizing stare.

    Watching you I see all the strength it takes,
    as you calmly educate the old women,
    her skin cracking like parchment paper,
    as she struggles to rearrange neurons.

    ---Gazing at you I see all of your courage,
    patiently guiding your own way through aisles,
    looking for more than just a bag of air and chips.

    And you give her your strength.

    ---And you give yourself hope.

    Tomorrow you will still be my neighbor,
    my friend,
    my lover,
    and I will buy bread.

    ---Tomorrow I will sill stand by you;
    my neighbor,
    my friend,
    my lover,
    and I will buy milk.

    Or surf the internet until sleep takes me.

    ---Or surf the stars until silence takes me.

    You will remain in the dark places,
    caught between the pale yellow ghosts,
    while Samaria cries herself to sleep.

    ---You will remain in the corners of the galaxy,
    caught between shooting stars,
    while I wipe away every tear. "

    Creative work.
    Loss of sleep and random web surfing landed me on your post.
    Can't say I'm disappointed.
    Keep searching Hidden Fool.

    -Di

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts