The City

Watching the sunset
I know that it means nothing
There is something sinister afoot
A thing that cannot be explained 
Only felt
It seeps into my stomach 
Black tar and dust cloud my brain
My blood flows
But never pumps
It lays flat in my veins
Placid and useless 
I watch as it slowly drips from my fingertips 
Shredding and weeping my body 
The blood turns to brown drain water
I become abstract art on the pavement 
Waiting for the next bit of black rubber   

Lying there I dream
I absorb the smells and tastes
Waiting for an end that never comes
The molecules will not let me
An insistent click, click, click begins
Like a jack hammer on Sunset Boulevard 
Cogs creak into motion
It becomes impossible to look around 
Shadowy figures float towards me
Blocking my view
They dance about in fits and starts 
No
It is not dancing
It is only braying 

Yet the cogs continue to move faster
Reconstructing my ideals
A petulant child begins to bang against my chest
Beating life back into the heart
The shadows form a great beast
It hungers for hope and bones

Rising up slowly
I stumble over the corpse of a hopeless romantic
A casualty of war
He is not to blame 
The air is just so thick
Too hard to breath in 
Biblical rules etched into bus stops
And freeway on ramps
The only commandment 
Thou shalt be a miserable prick

When I think I cannot stand it any longer
A cool breeze tickles my cheek
Call it laughter
Or friendship
Or success
It needs no name or affirmation
Call it clarity if you must 

At that moment I remember 
The rusty needles provide drama
The dirt gives you character 
The silicon fleshes you out
A war rages between beauty and destruction
Between superficiality and the real mother fuckers
And slowly
I begin to remember why I am here 

The beast shrinks back as I take the first step
I try and hold on
If not for myself
Then for the thousands of others 
I unplug and tune out
Taking another step forward 

Each time it happens 
They call me a sad old man
Through Armani sunglasses
And Mercedes Benz windows
They cackle at my tin basin hat
Trying their best to snuff me out 

So I do what is necessary
And return the laughter 
Drinking in their stares
Their blood
And in the quite of the night 
The streetlights burn bright as snow
The beast falls to pieces
The shadows slip back into their plastic sarcophagi
Leaving me to move freely  

Tearing off my clothes I dance naked through the streets
I proclaim this the kingdom of art
Of human love and devotion
The villagers peak from within their shanties
And looking upon me
They tear ass into the streets
Mounting palm trees in triumph
Chanting the glory of twisted dreams  

By the time that dawn has come
The city is burning
Leaving the people free to live as they were meant to 
The shadows can no longer hold on
They are defeated
My being is restored 
And the sun finally means something   

Comments

Popular Posts